Navigating Business Travel Expenses: Key Tax Deductions You Should Know
What to know about tax deductions for business travel
When it comes to conventions held outside North America, there are specific regulations for their deductibility.
If someone has to spend the night away from their home to fulfill their work obligations because they are away for more than a regular workday, it is considered traveling away from home for tax purposes.
Deductible expenses include:
- Travel by plane, train, bus or car between home and a business destination
- Fares for taxis or other types of transportation between an airport or train station and a hotel, or from a hotel to a work location
- Shipping of baggage and sample or display material between regular and temporary work locations
- Using a personally owned car for business
- Lodging and meals
- Dry cleaning and laundry
- Business calls and communication
- Tips paid for services related to any of these expenses
- Other similar ordinary and necessary expenses related to the business travel
Make sure you keep records such as receipts that support your deductions. We are dedicated to ensuring you receive the maximum tax deductions while fully adhering to all regulations and rules.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Alloy Silverstein Cloud Services
Bringing simple online accounting to startups and forward-thinking businesses. Contact us to get started. →